Time-based archive subdivision

From: Tom von Alten <tom_vonalten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:44:04 -0600

Greetings:

I know this has been discussed from time to time, and I know that many of the list members have this in their implementations. But I think that the current distribution doesn't have a direct provision (or even instructions?) as to how to accomplish it.

What I'm talking about is having a discussion archive split up on month, year, or some other time boundaries, ideally with any cross-referenced hyperlinks preserved.

Searching my memory, and the landfield site, it looks like the solutions in use require maintaining the incoming messages "as received" in a separate, mbox file, for as long as you may wish to make a new slice or dice.

Is that so?

Either way, it might be nice to capture one or more methods in some form (a "README" or FAQ file?) and include it in the distribution. (Let me apologize in advance if it's aready there and I missed it.)

Practically, I have the following problem:

A whole bunch of archives, with a whole bunch of messages in them (written with a local v1.x which has handled attachments for some time), which I need to split up, because they're getting unwieldy. Given the known flaws of v1.02 (which will all be corrected in v2!), and all the nifty additional flaws we put in our version, things get very boggy when an archive gets up around 2000 messages.

And I don't have the messages as they came to hypermail - I just have hypermail's archive. The updated "hypetombox.pl" in contrib/ would be a start, but without the ability to handle attachments, it's not enough.

Thanks for any ideas,

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Computer Peripherals Bristol Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com

          This posting is for informational purposes only.
          It is not a statement of the Hewlett-Packard Co.