how to make a hypermail tar.gz-package

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:21:05 +0100 (MET)

Hi

I just noticed that the 2b26 package doesn't conform to the previously released beta-package's style.

I did make an effort to make it easy to generate tarballs. This is how it should be done, my way:

  1. Edit the FILES to contain all files that are part of the distribution. If nothing is changed, leave it as it is.
  2. Run the 'maketgz' script in the root directory. It ask for the version number of the package. Enter '2b2000' or whatever is the correct version.

The script will then perform. It will make sure the version string just entered is set in the patchlevel.h header file, it will create a subdirectory and copy all relevant files into that. Then it will tar that directory and finally gzip it and remove the subdirectory again.

Left in the root directory is then a file named 'hypermail-<version>.tar.gz'.

If this script is used, all tarballs are gonna look the same and the amount of human mistakes can be decreased. If the script doesn't do right, it is better to correct the script than to keep doing manual changes when building release archives.

--
 Daniel Stenberg -- http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast/
 You'll find my hypermail pages at http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast/hypermail