Another case where FAULTY MIME blocks hypermail

From: <jose.kahan_at_w3.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:24:20 +0100 (MET)

Bjarni had previously reported a bug in hypermail's parser when a mail client misuses the MIME boundary:.

> An old version of kmail, the KDE mailer. Newer versions probably don't
> have this problem, but I still think it's a problem in hypermail that
> should be fixed.
>
> > Is it at least adding an end-boundary?
> > If this is the case, the patch is quite easy to do.
>
> Nope.. no boundaries what so ever. :-)
>
> The problem appears to be that the search for MIME parts isn't
> guaranteed to only search within the current message. The search for
> "From " strings should always have higher priority than the search for
> anything else, so to speak, to keep this from happening.

I now found another case, but with a much more popular client:   QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0.1

doesn't seem to be adding a last "-" to the boundary string. When trying to convert a mailbox which had this problem, hypermail stops adding messages there. It doesn't even add the attachments that were there.

I'll try to add some code for protecting against this problem and for Bjarni's too. And I think this should make it to 2.0.0 too.

Of course, the problem I'll have is how to recognize that we have anew message "From someone.xx.xx date" envelope and not a message with a line giving the same envelope. If you're mbox is IETF-happy (All From are escaped, it'll work). Otherwise, uh oh. So, I may have to protect this convertion with an option in case something breaks down...

-Jose Received on Fri 19 Nov 1999 05:27:04 PM GMT