Re: Stupid question of the day...

From: Kent Landfield <kent_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:25:04 -0600 (CST)

# I forgot to mention in my last post that there are a number of other
# changes needed to HTML files to become XHTML files.
#
# 1) all tags are lowercase i.e.
# <html>
# instead of
# <HTML>
#
# 2) all tags have closing tags or are empty tags i.e.
# instead of just
# <br>
# NOTE: The space in <br /> is optional, but it makes some older browsers
# happy that won't understand <br/>.

Yes. This would probably not be used and the <br></br> used instead.

# 3) all tag parameters must be quoted, i.e.
# border='0' or border="0"
# instead of
# border=0

I hope they are now. They should be looking at newly generated archives. If they are not, they should be located and corrected as encountered. This is just good HTML.

# 4) all tag parameters must have lable="value" format, i.e.
# checked="checked"
# instead of just
# checked

Same as #3

# 5) just plain avoid all evil tags like <marqee> and <layers> that are
# non-standard.

Agreed.

# These are just off the top of my head. Like I said before though, it's
# probably not worth the effort to go all out to fix them now. It's
# probably best just to follow the rules for new HTML and fix old html here
# and there in passing. BTW, there are probably tools out there to turn old
# HTML to XHTML. This should fix templates and static pages. The hard part
# may just be in the code itself.

It shouldn't be hard but it use should be configurable.

--
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
Email: kent_at_landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/