RE: Standard... ??

From: Tom von Alten <tom_vonalten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:17:40 -0700

AMK^4 asks:
> So, has no one come up with a standard rule for this stuff?
> (W3C???) Or are companies that make authoring programs (as well as the
> browsers) just oblivious to these rules??

Yes, there are standards. C.f. http://www.w3c.org/

The way I read the question for HTML *style*, the answer is "use lower case for all tags and quote all attributes." I use caps for hexadecimal color specifications, because they look better to me that way. (And yes, most authoring programs are apparently oblivious to HTML style.)

Programs rendering HTML are accomodating when it comes to case; the standards did not require upper or lower case, in general (or maybe "at all"). The last HTML standard (v4.01) is indexed at

   http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/

The next generation of HTML is XHTML, indexed at

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

The differences between XHTML 1.0 and HTML 4.01 are detailed at

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

Appendix C (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines) gives guidelines for those "who wish their XHTML documents to render on existing HTML user agents."

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Mobile Storage Business Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com

          This posting is for informational purposes only.
          It is not a statement of the Hewlett-Packard Co.