[hypermail] Option for conversion to UTF-8

From: Martin Duerst <duerst_at_w3.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:28:08 -0500

Dear Hypermail programmers and users,

I'm continuing to work on some additional code in hypermail so that it will be possible to have mailing list archives with mails in different languages and encodings (charsets). The way to do this is to convert all incomming mail headers, bodies, and also the various language strings into UTF-8 (UTF-8 is totally ASCII-compatible, encodes all of Unicode/ISO 10646, and therefore all the characters in any email in any other popular charset).

One question I currently have is the choice of option for this setting. I choose -8 as the option, because -u was already taken. But if there is a preference for something else, I can change that. Any comments/opinions?

Regards, Martin.

#-#-# Martin J. Du"rst, I18N Activity Lead, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-# mailto:duerst_at_w3.org http://www.w3.org/People/D%C3%BCrst