Re: Getting started

From: Guido van Rossum <guido_at_CNRI.Reston.Va.US_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:53:04 -0400

[me]
> > I'm not sure how pipermail compares to hypermail in detail, but I know
> > that Andrew was aware of several hypermail restrictions and coded
> > pipermail to avoid these. Andrew, would you care to comment?

[Elliott Lee]
> To be honest, I haven't tried pipermail specifically, but I have run most
> of the other mail -> html converters out there, and only hypermail had the
> speed needed. archive.redhat.com has 4.5M mailbox files that generate 2500
> messages, and although even hypermail *starts* to choke on them, nothing
> else gets close.

I just talked to Pipermail's author, who will send a more detailed followup to this. The gist of it is that pipermail does things incrementally in a smart way, so the speed is only an issue when starting up a new archive.

More of the rest of the messages on this list seem to be concerned with adding features; this is another reason why I would propose to use Pipermail or at least Python for development -- you'll be up to 10 times more productive writing code using Python instead of C. Also, Python does away of all the buffer overflow issues.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/) Received on Thu 23 Apr 1998 03:56:21 PM GMT