Re: Avoiding competing process (was Re: indexes)

From: Randall S. Winchester <rsw_at_Glue.umd.edu_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:41:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Kent Landfield wrote:

: The latest version I'm cleaning up now has locking in it to avoid
: the timing problems associated with very busy lists. This is an FYI
: since Byron's use of make is very appropriate for very high traffic
: lists. I have found that for those types of lists, running hypermail
: hourly is much more "system friendly" and most list users don't care
: as long as it gets there in a reasonable fashion.

As a performance compromise, I would assume that "date" indexing would be the prefered default for active lists, and if so should be documented as such. I really do not want to delay updateing of mail into Hypermail, but would like to know what are the bottle necks and how to best avoid them.

Randall Received on Wed 07 Oct 1998 09:43:45 PM GMT