what is HM doing?

From: Scott Stark <sstark_at_sirius.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:48:38 -0800

I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has been dealt with before. I looked through the FAQ and documentation and didn't find what I was looking for.

I'd like to know how Hypermail processes a mailbox file, i.e., what it is looking for as it scans through it? How does it distinguish one message from the next? Is it simply looking for a line that begins with "From"?

I've been able to get HM to work properly on a standard UNIX mailbox file, but I'd like to use it to process a log file of a listserve of which I'm a member. The log file doesn't have the standard UNIX mailbox parameters, but in the past (using an earlier version of HM) I was able to run a perl script on the log file that made it something HM could parse. Doesn't seem to work with the newer version; it parses the first email message in the log file and then quits.

I've opened both the UNIX file and the log file and compared them side by side and can't figure out what the difference is. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

thanks in advance!

Scott

p.s. below is a typical message in the log file, including the dashed line: