Re: does uudecode actually work?

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_haxx.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:50:33 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Tony Ross wrote:

> We are receiving quite a number of emails with uuencoded files in the
> body, and hypermail 2b29 is not uudecode'ing these; it leaves the
> uuencoded file in the body of the html file.

Yes. Uuencoded files are not part of any MIME standard and hypermail only extracts MIME attachments.

> The source code has a uudecode.c, but we don't see its result in the html
> output. A search of the mailing list for uudecode indicates only some
> problems with compilation.

The uudecode stuff is only for MIME attachments that are uuencoded (as opposed to the more commonly used base64-encoded ones).

> How are other people dealing with uuencode'd files in the body of the
> email that is fed to hypermail? Surely this issue must have been
> discussed/solved before, and I would appreciate any input.

I believe the TODO file mentions that this should/could be fixed and I also believe that there exist some kind of program/filter somewhere that converts a mail with uuencoded files into proper MIME mails. Using such a tool as a preprocessor for hypermail would indeed solve the problem.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77