Re: Error 255 with messages with attachments

From: Tony Ross <tross_at_appworx.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:26:52 GMT

Greetings;

The error message "stat=unknown mailer error 255" is generated by sendmail when you attempt to execute a program using the sendmail restricted shell "smrsh", without having a proper configuration.

There are two ways to fix this, and the method you choose depends on the level of security you require at your site.

Less secure is to edit the sendmail.cf file from:

Mprog, P=/usr/lib/smrsh,<...>

to:

Mprog, P=/bin/sh,<...>

Most secure is to include symbolic links in a certain directory to the programs you wish to pipe stdin to, such as hypermail. Please refer to http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.34 for more complete information.

        tony