Error: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpcre.so.0" not found

From: Ron Pero <rpero_at_magnadev.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:49:00 -0500

(Am sending this again, since I did not receive it when I sent it earlier today)

Dear Peter

Thanks again for your reply. As you suggested, I copied src/pcre/.libs/libpcre.so.0 to a directory in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH such as /usr/local/lib. It still did not work, producing the same error message: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpcre.so.0" not found

So I contacted tech support at my hosting service (verio, vps, free bsd), and they replied thus.

---
Thanks for contacting technical support.  You can check to see what
libraries are currently in the hints file with this command:

virtual /sbin/ldconfig -r

running this command does show:

81:-lpcre.0 => /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0

so it seems that it should be able to find it.  You can have it re-read it's
normal directories with:

virtual /sbin/ldconfig -R

although it seems like it has already done this (see man ldconfig for
details).  Since I'm not familiar with hypermail (and we don't support it)
I don't know how to verify if it's working or not.  It does appear that the
library paths should be set up correctly.
---

So, any other suggestions? I have never used cvs, but I suppose I should get
around to learning it (Can you point me to a good learning resource?).

Thanks again,

Ron