Re: [hypermail] Option for conversion to UTF-8

From: Peter C.McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:42:40 -0800 (PST)

 duerst_at_w3.org (Martin Duerst) writes:
>Hello Peter,
>
>At 09:46 04/01/09 -0800, Peter C. McCluskey wrote:
>> duerst_at_w3.org (Martin Duerst) writes:
>> >One question I currently have is the choice of option for this setting.
>> >I choose -8 as the option, because -u was already taken. But if there is
>> >a preference for something else, I can change that. Any comments/opinions?
>>
>> If there's a reason for having a command line option for this, -8 sounds
>>good. But we have more options than we can reasonably fit into single-char
>>options, and most new options are being specified only via .hmrc. I'm
>>uncertain whether we should make this option available from the command line.
>
>Many thanks for your advice! Besides new vs. old, are there any other
>criteria for what ends up as an option and what not? One scenario I
>can imagine is that an archive wants to use UTF-8 for some mailing
>lists (those with mixed language contributions), whereas not with
>others. That might be easier to control with an option than with
>.hmrc. But I'm okay to remove the option if it's not needed.

 If a moderate number of people are likely to use both values for this option on the same system, then having a command line option is a good choice. I have no idea whether this is the case, and it sounds like you know more about this than I do.

>As for the .hmrc (or test.rc in my case), I currently have the
>following entry in setup.c:
>
> {"utf8", &set_utf8, BFALSE, CFG_SWITCH,
> "# Set this to On to produce all output encoded as UTF-8\n"
> "# to avoid problems with mixed encodings.", FALSE},
>
>This means that the name of the setting in .hmrc is "utf8", and
>the variable in the program is "set_utf8". Does that look okay,
>or should I change that?

 That looks good.

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the