Re: filename problem

From: Peter C.McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:06:46 -0800 (PST)

 grp_at_med.uoc.gr (G G Papazoglou) writes:
>Hello, I am using hypermail for a while now, being totally satisfied by
>it. Except for one minor problem: We are located in Greece, so many of
>our users send attachments with Greek filenames. The result is that they
>are saved and shown as underscores:
>
>http://bb.med.uoc.gr/0411/0020.html
>
>Could you recommend some workaround on this? I am aware hypermail
>supports greek, but on the one hand I am not sure if using it will solve

 Greek language support should have no effect on the filenames.  The conversion to underscores is done to avoid characters that might create security risks, and it looks like we were too cautious. We should probably alter this test in parse.c:

	if (((*np >= 'a' && *np <= 'z') || (*np >= '0' && *np <= '9') ||
	     (*np >= 'A' && *np <= 'Z') || (*np == '-') || (*np == '.') ||

to allow characters in the range 0xA0 to 0xFF under some conditions.  I suspect this range of characters should be conditioned on a config option which defaults to not allowing them (they can be a nuisance to handle in some of the tools people use to maintain filesystems).  I'm guessing that character 0xFF should not be allowed even though it is used as a printable character in some languages, because there might be some conditions under which the high order bit gets stripped off and we end up with 0x7F (DEL), which I suspect is dangerous to have in names.

 Does anyone see any problems with my guesses?

>the filename problem, on the other hand I reallly don't want to use it
>because the translation is, elegantly speaking, awful (I would be happy
>to provide you with a more decent one if you want - just let me know
>what you need).

 Yes, I would like to get translations for the strings that have been added since the last time someone did a Greek translation.

Peter McCluskey          | Please check out my new blog:
www.bayesianinvestor.com | http://www.bayesianinvestor.com/blog/