Re: octet-stream attachment

From: Paul Haldane <Paul.Haldane_at_newcastle.ac.uk_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:10:59 +0100 (GMT)

Sounds like the original file had the extension jpg_ so the attachment didn't get labeled as image/jpeg instead it got the general application/octet-stream.

I've just tried this (with gif rather than jpg because that's what I had to hand) and I see the same behaviour. If the sending computer knows that files with extension jpg_ are image files then it should work (I've not tried this).

I reckon hypermail did the right thing - it has to rely on labeling of the mime parts done by the MUA - adding rules into hypermail to say that anything with an extension of the form jpg* is an image file is probably doable but doesn't feel like the right thing to me.

Paul