Re: Preparing hypermail cvs commit/merge, suggestions?

From: Paul Haldane <Paul.Haldane_at_newcastle.ac.uk_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:21:02 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Several persons have written to me saying they agree with my previous
> statement regarding acceptance of new chunks of code in hypermail. We need
> to be careful and make it right. We may have a stable release in sight, a
> release we might soon call version 2.0.

Agreed - I reckon we should aim to tidy up any loose ends in the existing code, clear any remaining bugs/misfeatures and make a release version available as soon as is practical.

Adding new features like the use of html templates and critmail can happen after that (or in parallel if the effort is available). I'd like to see the functionality of critmail in hypermail but don't see it as something that needs to happen before a release.

Paul

> ---- Now, over to Peter's mail:

> > {"show_dates_first", &set_show_dates_first, BFALSE, CFG_SWITCH,
> > "# If On, When dates are displayed in index files, put them at\n"
> > "# the left end of the line, making it easier (if you're not using\n"
> > "# the usetable option) to compare message dates by aligning them.\n"},
>
> Speaking of how index tables are generated, I'd prefer to avoid new static
> options. All entries of index tables could be created using some kind of
> template instead, giving maximum flexibility.

Strongly agree - adding extra options to tweak the appearance of the generated web pages is a bad thing (which is not to say that I haven't done it in the past :-> but should aim to avoid it if possible). We're never going to have enough options to satisfy everyone and making sure that correct (or at least workable) html is generated in all cases is a pain.

I would like to see more work on generating the html from external templates with more information being passed down to the routines that generate the html. I have a colleague here who would like the title of the web pages contain the date the message was sent - that's not possible with the current setup but there's no reason why it shouldn't be with a template.

Paul Received on Mon 13 Sep 1999 07:21:05 PM GMT