RE: Question about MIME and HTML Email

From: Tom von Alten <Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:49:28 -0600

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Can we trust multipart-html more than attached html?

I don't know about trust, but it seems like the more direct question is whether and how the HTML spec addresses nesting.

hypermail has used html tags in its own special way to create an HTML document; so that rather than identify an html document, < html > is taken as a special tag to the program.

I'm guessing this was a clever idea whose time may have passed. In our system with perhaps 100 people using distribution lists and archives more or less directly, I'm probably the only person who has ever used the feature; most everybody has a tighter focus on the email end of the exchange.

It's more common to have an HTML attachment. Just about no one in our organization is formatting their email in HTML (thank goodness, is my personal opinion).

All that said, however, the question was really about rich text and preserving fonts and such, rather than HTML per se.

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Computer Peripherals Bristol Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com Received on Thu 15 Oct 1998 04:03:15 PM GMT